The Big Deal About BreakfastPosted on July 8, 2014 at 12:01 am
We hear it all the time: “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” And you know what I think about that? TRUTH. Breakfast is what gets us going…what fuels us for our day. Why do you think it’s called breakfast? Because we’re breaking the fast that we were on while we were sleeping.
Why Skipping Breakfast is a Horrible Idea:
- If you skip breakfast, your body is running on empty. You need to fuel your body first thing in the morning! That energy is essential for getting you through your day. You should try to eat breakfast within 2 hours of waking up.
- Breakfast also helps boost your metabolism for the day. Our metabolism slows while we are sleeping so we need to give it that boost first thing in the morning.
- Breakfast promotes overall good health – those who eat breakfast have lower blood pressure, lower risks for heart disease/diabetes/obesity and improved memory and stress levels.
- Breakfast restores glucose (an essential carb) levels, which our brains need to function.
- According to research, people who eat breakfast have an easier time losing weight and keeping it off.
Healthy Breakfast Options:
Notice that the list does not include pastries, granola bars, bagels, etc (;
So next time you think about skimping on breakfast…don’t. Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day! Remember to eat foods that are going to compliment your training.