Pre-Workout Snack Idea: Acai BowlPosted on August 11, 2014 at 12:01 am
I hope y’all had a fabulous, relaxing weekend! I know I enjoyed some time off (:
I have a lot of clients ask me about what they can eat before a workout that will give them enough energy to get through an intense workout without making them want to vomit all over the gym floor. Enter: acai bowls! They’re so versatile, easy to make and you can even have them for a good, healthy breakfast!
The first time I had one of these super fruit bowls was when I went to the beach last weekend. I had it for breakfast and told my Grandma that I’d love to create my own when I got home. Of course, when I got home, she came over to visit and she had all the ingredients for me to make my own acai bowl. Instead of having one for breakfast, I made one for a pre-workout snack and it was delicious and gave me enough energy for my workout.
Ingredients in my bowl:
- 1/4 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 banana
- 3-5 strawberries
- 5-7 chunks of pineapple
- 1 frozen acai packet (Make sure to get unsweetened. I use this one.)
- 2 TBS granola (These can be tricky to choose….lots of sugar and unwanted ingredients are in most granolas. The best option is to make your own. If you’re short on time, find one that suits your health needs. I use this one.)
What to do:
- Mix the almond milk, 1/2 of the banana, the pineapple and the acai packet in a blender.
- Pour that mixture into a bowl.
- Add your toppings! My toppings were granola, strawberries and banana.
The best part about this dish is that you can make it exactly what you want. Mix and match ingredients depending on your mood…my kind of food!
Perks of the acai berry:
- Loaded with antioxidants
- Filled with aminos
- Filled with essential fatty acids
If I make an acai bowl for breakfast, I add a little bit of protein powder and I’m good to go!
Give this smoothie in a bowl a try and let me know what toppings you choose!