Healthy Fall Chili RecipePosted on October 29, 2014 at 12:01 am
Comfort food doesn’t have to destroy your progress…you just have to make it as healthy as you can and eat it in moderation. One of my favorite comfort foods is: CHILI! Especially around this time of year. I’ve actually never made my own chili, so I was pretty nervous about how it would turn out (uh it was my first time using a crockpot, too…I know I need to get with the times). I usually eat my Grandma’s chili, but I decided it was time to figure out how to make my own!
Adam was hunting all weekend so I wanted to have some chili cooking in the crockpot when he got home Monday night. YOU GUYS…it was a success! The house smelled wonderful and the chili was delicious! #wifewin
What You’ll Need:
- Package of ground turkey (or meat of your choice…I’m gonna make venison chili next)
- 3 chopped jalapeños
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1-16 ounces can of black beans
- 1-16 ounce can of kidney beans
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 2-14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes with chilies
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Desired toppings (I used Greek yogurt as sour cream and a little bit of cheese)
What You’ll Do:
- Put beans, onions, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, jalapeños, and spices into crockpot. Put ground turkey on top and cover.
- Cook on high for six hours. Then cook on low for another hour or two. Stir occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy!
What are some of your favorite comfort foods? Do you make healthy versions of them?
Try this chili recipe and let me know what you think! It’s pretty spicy but SO delicious!