The Perks of Eating PumpkinPosted on October 6, 2014 at 12:01 am
OH MY GOSH you guys! It got down into the 70s this weekend here in Florida! It’s like a real fall…kinda!
I, like most of the world, am pumpkin obsessed around this time of year. As soon as September hit, I bought pumpkin candles for my house and started experimenting with pumpkin recipes. I’ve had a lot of people ask me if pumpkin is healthy. Well I’m here to tell you… YES, it is! Not to be confused with a PSL from Starbucks…those are actually disgusting if you read what’s in them…sorry to break that to you (;
- Low in calories but high in nutrition benefits. There are about 85 calories per cup of pumpkin puree.
- High in fiber. Fiber helps improve digestion and helps you feel full faster so you don’t overeat.
- High in iron. Iron helps transport oxygen throughout our bodies.
- High levels of vitamins A & C. Vitamin A helps protect the eyes, while vitamin C helps protect the immune system.
- High in potassium. Potassium helps our muscles contract, helps control blood pressure, and helps regulate fluids throughout the body.
So now you know that you don’t have to feel guilty eating pumpkin! Obviously try to steer clear of inhaling pumpkin pie and things like that, but try out pumpkin overnight oats of pumpkin protein pancakes!
Happy fall y’all!