Mmm Monday: The Big Deal About Green Tea and Why You Should Be Drinking ItPosted on January 6, 2014 at 5:00 am
Hi pretties! Welcome to Mmm Monday (: These posts will be dedicated to all things food & nutrition. I’ll share recipes, information about food, a series that I have called “Eat This Not That”…all kinds of fun stuff. Now I am no dietician or nutritionist but I like to research and explore and I figured y’all could benefit from my hours of reading, yeah?
Let me make one thing VERY clear. Working out alone will NOT get you where you want to be physically. Will it help? Absolutely. But real talk: it’s about 80% diet and 20% exercise. Yep, that’s right. They go hand in hand. They work together. They’re besties. If you want real, lasting results, you have to commit to both of them: a well balanced diet AND a regular fitness regime. So now that you’re aware of that, let’s move on to today’s post: the big deal about green tea and why you should be drinking more of it.
There are certain foods/drinks that you always hear people saying “are good for you.” Awesome. But don’t you want to know WHY they’re good for you? I usually do.
- It contains more antioxidants than any other tea.
- It has zero calories (until you add other stuff to it, of course!).
- Green tea is said to improve brain function, smarties!
- It increases fat burning and boosts your metabolism (in other words, it can aid in weight loss).
- Green tea is responsible for lowering your risk for certain types of cancer & diabetes…thanks to the antioxidants!
- It can kill bacteria, which promotes good dental health…smile!
- It’s relaxing to brew yourself a hot cup of tea and sit down to enjoy some YOU time…to think, meditate, read, or whatever. I try to make time for this every day (:
How Do I Make It Taste Delicious?
- I always make sure to use organic green tea bags. Some things I could care less if they are organic or not, but I do prefer to use organic green tea. My stance on organic food will be a whole post on its own someday.
- Steer clear of “instant” green tea. Use tea bags or leaves.
- I like to add a 1/2 teaspoon of agave to mine…it sweetens it up a bit. Honey would work, too! Or even some stevia.
- If I’m not in the mood for a sweet tasting tea, I slice up a lemon and add a few slices to my tea for more of a tangy taste.
- Green tea has the most benefits when you drink it fresh, while it’s still hot. Let your tea brew for 3-5 minutes to reap all the benefits!
So I know after reading this that every single one of you is about to run to the store and pick up some green tea to enjoy right?! Drink up to 3 cups per day…mmm! Like I said, I learned all of this from a lot of reading. If you want more scientific backing, do some research (: Google is your friend… as long as you skip the sketchy sources, that is!
Oh, also…who has been having fun with the #jigglefreeJANUARY daily challenges? I AM! It’s so much fun checking what the challenge is each morning and completing it. You can find the calendar here…it’s never too late to join in. Remember to use the hashtags on social media so I can check in with you: #glistenfit #jigglefreejanuary.
Happy Monday! See y’all tomorrow with a Talk It Out Tuesday post (: