My Thoughts On “Cheat Meals”Posted on December 8, 2014 at 12:01 am
First let me just make it known that I hate the phrase “cheat meal.” Like what am I cheating on? When I think of cheating I think of a scam or copying off of someone’s paper in high school. Not eating something that I enjoy from time to time. I like to call it a “Treat Meal” instead. Way less negative sounding.
I am a believer in eating mostly clean. However, sometimes I do find myself in situations where eating as clean as I normally do isn’t really an option. Say if I’m at a wedding or party or even if I’m out on date night! The way I see it…my lifestyle is healthy. Eating one meal that isn’t “healthy” isn’t going to sabotage my hard work and progress.
When I think Treat Meals are okay:
- When you’ve reached your goals and you’re in the maintenance stage of your health & fitness lifestyle
- If you’re out on date night or at a special event
When I don’t think Treat Meals are okay:
- If you’re just starting out with your healthy eating journey – this is when you need to be balls to the wall and teach your body to love healthy, whole, clean foods
- If you’re eating something because you’re sad or upset
- If you’re eating something because you’re too lazy to make something clean and healthy
Guidelines I follow when enjoying a Treat Meal:
- Like I said, I eat mostly clean – it’s my lifestyle. I only enjoy a treat meal once MAYBE twice a week
- Notice I call it a “treat MEAL” not a treat day. I do just that – enjoy one meal. Then spend the rest of my day eating as I normally would
- I try to make sure that I have my treat meal after a good workout
- I don’t stop eating for the rest of the day because I ate something that wasn’t clean
- I stay hydrated
- When I have a treat meal I like to make it an experience – so out on a date or having a girls’ night out or something. I try not to have a treat meal just sitting on my couch in front of the TV
- LOVE YOURSELF before, during, and after eating your treat. You work hard – this one thing isn’t going to destroy all of that
The biggest thing is not letting one little treat throw you completely off track. Honestly – the build up to my treat meal is usually way better than the actual treat meal itself. My body craves whole, healthy, clean foods and I usually feel pretty crappy (physically not mentally) after eating something that I’m not used to. So it’s easy for me to stay on track.
My favorite treats are: ice cream, Mexican food (see the picture of those nachos above?! YUM. I had those during a girls’ night a few weekends ago), and wine.
What are some of your favorite treat meals?!
Categorized in: Be Fierce